Ever dreamt of a well-decorated home with a kitchen and a bathroom way better than an ordinary one? There goes without saying that a kitchen is the heart of the house. Installing Laminate Countertops To Base Cabinets: Make Your Kitchen And Bathroom Upgraded
So, do decorate your kitchen in such a way that the liveliness of this heart will always be continued. The same thing goes for the bathroom, too. A laminate countertop to a base kitchen cabinet is one of the best materials to moderate your kitchen and bathroom.
Unaware of the concept of a base cabinet? Don’t know what a laminated countertop is? Let’s stop worrying. You are not the only one. There are many people like you and this article helps you to understand how to install laminate countertop to base cabinets.
What Is Base Cabinets?
Well, it is a cabinet, which is built mainly for kitchens and bathrooms and which rests on the floor and supports other items like cooktops, sinks, and countertops. Usually, kitchens can be made of both wall cabinets and base cabinets.
Generally, these countertops are made with layers of plastic which are connected either to particleboard or to a craft paper in order to create a strong and solid countertop surface.
But don’t get confused with Formica and Laminate countertops as they are two different things. Of course, laminated countertops are durable than those of Formica and other cheap countertops. They lost their popularity in the Fifties and Sixties.
How To Cut A Laminate Counter Stick On Countertops:
Don’t think too much. A laminate countertop, made with plastic is easy enough to cut. You can do it by your own. You can cut the laminate countertop with a saw, with a router, with a jigsaw, or even with some hand tools. The best material to cut a sheet laminate by itself is a tin snip or an aviation snip. Why so? Because it provides you the support if you are cutting it oversize and you can trim it later. Yes, that easy it is!
But the way of cutting an assembled countertop is a little tricky. The best you can do in order to cut it is to use power tools with great care. Circular saw blades are quite popular in the market as laminate countertops are relatively soft materials and it is capable of cutting the laminate countertops with ease. Installing Laminate Countertops To Base Cabinets: Make Your Kitchen And Bathroom Upgraded
Stick on Counter Tops:
Actually, Peel and stick countertops are very strong and durable materials. The Peel and stick tiles on countertops offer and allow a homeowner along with the decorators to show their taste and talent, how far they can go with their sense of color or mimic stone and other costly countertop materials. Do you know an amazing fact? They can last up to five years. At least researchers say so.
Installing Stick Tiles Countertops :
That’s a simple process too. You just have to follow some easy steps.
- At first, you have to cut the tiles into strips that are equal to the height of the countertop edge with a suitable tool.
- Now just peel the protective paper off and stick it on the countertop and attach them to the countertop edge. You have to do it one by one.
- Don’t forget to press and rub your hand on the edges in order to place the tiles properly.
Joining Laminate Countertop Seams:
Oh! Of Course! There is no need to worry.
Before installing the laminate countertops to the base cabinet, you have to go through a number of processes, as said above. You have to join cut and join laminate countertop seams before installing it. Just follow the steps shown below and you will reach to your destination.
The steps are as follows:
- Before joining the two pieces of countertops, you must start by measuring and cutting the pieces of laminate countertops in order to make sure that they will fit.
- Then, you have to turn over each of the pieces.
- Now cut a one to two inch wood block to fit along the edge of the cuts that you have already made.
- After that, join the pieces together along both sides with glue and connect the block of the wood with meter bolts.
One must remember the fact that Seams cannot be eliminated. They can be hidden. You can do it if you use a seam filter that matches the laminated surface colour. Installing Laminate Countertops To Base Cabinets: Make Your Kitchen And Bathroom Upgraded
- Just use the edge of the knife to snip the out the seams. When finished, you just have to brush away the debris.
- Now you must apply a little amount of seam filler on the plastic plate.
You can also have the kitchen or bathroom surface that are made of seamless laminate countertops.
How To Measure The Countertops For Replacements:
Sometimes, it is a difficult question if you can measure the laminate countertops for replacement on your own. Now, again I would suggest not to get stressed too much.
The process of measuring the countertops for replacement is amazingly simple to handle. Only using the right and suitable way is enough to manage the whole thing.
Here are some tips for you for measuring the laminate countertops for replacements:
- Let me tell you one thing first. Are you installing the countertops from a post form? Is it a custom countertop? Then just do one thing. Start by calculating the space. You may also begin by estimating the layouts of the tops of the cabinets.
- At the time of measuring your countertops, do make sure and be careful about the fact that you include the countertops over hanged. It is generally between ¾ to 1 inch in front of the face of the cabinet and on open ends.
- You have to also remember the fact that you must ready a plan in order to run the flush of the countertops with the sides of the cabinet. You may also use filler strips at the time, when a cabinet is connected against an appliance.
- Be ready with a plan to connect an end cap at each of the appliance and whenever the countertop ends.
- Have an L shaped countertop? Then you need to buy pieces of left and right countertops and a kit of hardware in order to measure the L Shaped countertop.
- Do you know that most countertops, which are post form have a lip in the front, in order to show them appear thicker than they actually are? Is the same case with your countertop? Well, in that case, you have to make the difference as the lip does not sit under the face frame.
- Another way you can use is to either adding strips to the bottom of the countertops, or by connecting them to the top of the cabinets. When you add or connect the countertops with the cabinets, it will provide you the support for securing the countertop to them.
- Be ready with a strip of plywood at least of 2 inches wide along with the back of the cabinets, in order to run them. Be couscous about the plywood. It has to be the same thickness to build for the lip at the edge of the front.
- After completing the whole process, you need to run the second strip across the cabinet fronts.
You must remember some important facts before you order your new countertops. I mean, it’s not a homework. Just a friendly reminder to get rid of any kind of nasties. So, you should measure accurately the layout of the cabinets. There is a warning too. If you are having a U shaped kitchen right now, with two large mitres and never installed a countertop before this, you need to hire an architect.
How TO CUT THE LAMINATE COUNTERTOP FOR SINK: CUTTING OUT A SINKHOLE IN LAMINATE COUNTERTOPS:
Want to cut a large sinkhole in the middle of the new laminate countertop? Be very careful. The whole process of cutting a sinkhole in the laminate countertop can appear intimidating. But I can assure you that it is quite simple and straightforward.
- First you need to have access the exact centre of the sink area under the countertop. You know what? Most of the sink areas are of 36 inches by 24 inches. So, calculate and make a mark at 18 inches by 12 inches on the countertop. Now you can point a dark circle where the marks meet for your own advantage.
- Now put the template on the sink area.
- Get yourself a marker and outline the template. You can also invert the sink over the countertop, and then mark around it with a pencil. Must remember that you have to estimate a parallel line at least 1 inch inside.
- Now simply put the strip of masking tape over the cut-out lines.
- Then drill a hole of ½ inch inside the cut-out area. Insert the blade and start cutting slowly.
- After that, place the board lengthwise on the laminate countertop.
- After you’ve done, gently cut the remaining of the cut-out and lift it straight up.
Prefab Granite Countertops Home Depot:
Prefab granite countertops for home depot are quite popular in the market. It may cost up to $25 per square foot.
Installation Of Granite Countertops On Existing Cabinets: Can You Put Granite On Old Cabinets?
The answer is yes. But, it depends on several factors. You have to use silicone to install the granite countertops to an existing cabinet. A bead of silicone all over the top of the cabinet will manage the whole thing.
Some installers prefer the stone after the installation.
Backsplash Edge Of Cabinet Or Countertop:
Are you worried about where to end your backsplash? Well, here is the answer for you. The edge of the backsplash needs to be the way from the countertop to the bottom of upper cabinet.
Otherwise it may appear as outdated. For that, you need to calculate and mark the length of the backsplash and then cut them to size with a circular saw.
Diy Metal Countertop: Pros And Cons
These are the high performing countertops, indeed. Price goes up to $50 to $ 150 for a square foot.
The benefit of diy metal countertops are that they can’t be burn or broken easily, can be installed without a sealing process, recyclable.
The only drawback is that these are very expensive countertops.
Are Laminate Countertops Easy To Install?
Technically yes! As the article describes earlier, laminate countertops are amazingly easy and simple to install to the base cabinets.
How Do You Support Laminate Countertops?
Okay! Now this is an important question indeed. Let’s make a quick homework for this. Have a horizontal stud with you? Very well. Now screw it to support the countertops first. Then do calculate and cut a vertical stud in order to fit under the horizontal brace. Make sure to screw it to the wall stud. This will support and add an adequate refreshment to the countertop.
How Do You Install Laminate Island Countertops?
Well, that is also a quite easy process to handle. Here are the steps to follow:
- You should make MDF countertop bases at first.
- Then rough cut the laminate.
- Apply the required amount of glue to counter sides.
- Now do adhere to the sides.
- After that, you just need to route around the edges of the countertop.
- Now apply glue again.
- Make sure to cover the countertops with dowels.
Read More : 8 Ways to Flex your Creative Muscles